Built on the College of Social Work’s commitment to community service, the CSW Arts & Athletics program is an initiative created by Dean Emeritus Nick Mazza designed to combine arts and athletics as vehicles to introduce youth aged 11 - 14 to the university environment and encourage them to pursue higher education. The program aims to enhance leadership development, grow confidence in academic achievement, socialization, and other life skills for local youth, including those with limited social and economic opportunity.
The program has taken the shape of a week-long camp, hosted on the Florida State campus. The camp works with various partners on campus such as University Athletics, the Department of Sports Management, the Career Center, the Center for Leadership and Social Change, PeaceJam SouthEast, the Center for Academic Retention and Enhancement (CARE), University Housing, and others, to fully expose youth to the scope of what a higher education environment offers.
A service-learning component involves FSU students from various disciplines participating as mentors, while also gaining additional leadership and community service experience. This program is directed by Assistant Professor Dr. Lisa Schelbe in the College of Social Work. 2018 will mark the seventh annual camp for middle school students.
Camper Application Information:
Dates for the 2018 Arts and Athletics Camp are June 4th-8th and June 11th-15th.
Camp hours for the 2018 season are 7:30am-3:30pm. This year, the camp has partnered with the Palmer Munroe Teen Center, to provide extended programming from 3:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. If you elect for your child to participate in the extended programming, they will be transported to the Palmer Monroe Teen Center will you can pick them up at your convenience before 8:00 p.m. Campers are provided with a light breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack. If your camper participates in the extended programming at the Palmer Monroe Teen Center, they will be provided with dinner. The camp is free of cost. Camp Applications are closed.
Camp Counselor Information:
To apply to be a counselor for the 2019 CSW Arts and Athletics Camp, please apply at https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3UcVJHcXa0cn1Yx and send your resume to Virginia Scott at email@example.com.
Applications are now open.
Lisa Schelbe, Ph.D., Assistant Professor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Video: FSU College of Social Work hosts free Arts & Athletics summer camp (June 2018)
- Article: hanging a path: FSU social work camp inspires students to succeed (June 2018)
- Radio clip: FSU College of Social Work hosts free Arts & Athletics summer camp (June 2018)
- Article: Real-life role models: FSU hosts free summer camp for youth (June 2017)
- Radio clip: College of Social Work Arts & Athletics summer camp (June 2017)
- Video: CSW Arts and Athletics camp 2016 (June 2016)
- Radio clip: College of Social Work Arts & Athletics Camp (June 2016)
- Arts and Athletics camp broadens horizons of area middle schoolers (June 2014)
- Radio clip: “FSU CSW offers sneak peak to university life“ (July 2013)
- Article: Young students get sneak peak at university life (July 2013)
- Article: Arts & Athletics camp winning combination for new College of Social Work camp (June 2012)
*The pilot project was made possible through the generosity of Guy and Delores Spearman. For more information or to support this program, contact Colette Podgorski at email@example.com or donate online to the “Social Work Community Outreach Fund.”