Alternative Spring Break
The Alternative Spring Break program is an opportunity for BSW and MSW students to study social services and participate in a volunteer service project in an international setting. Working together with our international partners, we deepen our understanding of global social work issues while sharing our time and energy in a collaborative process supporting local agency goals.
The CSW has longstanding relationships with leaders in Grenada’s social and child welfare services, who offer program participants important cultural insights into the concerns and successes of this vibrant Caribbean nation. On past trips we have collaborated with the Programme for Adolescent Mothers (PAM) to better understand and support the development of young families in this vibrant, complex environment of Grenada. Students participated in projects such as developing training materials and activities focused on strengthening healthy families, reducing domestic violence, and other topics identified by NGO service recipients, faculty, and administrators. And of course, we saved time to enjoy their wonderful beaches, including Grand Anse and Morne Rouge!
Commitment and dedication are essential for a successful and rewarding Alternative Spring Break trip. Participants are required to attend class sessions between January and March where they will get to know fellow trip members, learn about cultural and social dynamics in Grenada, and form task groups for the development of program content and activities for use with local NGOs.
Participants register for and receive three hours of course credit (SOW 4940/5943 International Community Engagement) at the undergraduate or graduate level, as appropriate. This class has mandatory attendance. Students applying for spring break should consult with an academic advisor and plan on a spring course schedule that does not conflict with this required course. To the extent possible, admissions decisions will be made before the drop/add period for spring semester ends, allowing students who are not admitted or who chose not to accept an opening in the program to modify their spring schedules as necessary.
- All participants must be College of Social Work students in good standing with the University.
- Students must have at least a 2.75 GPA.
- Applications will also take into consideration students' interest in child welfare, parenting, and adolescent development, and prior experience (if any) abroad.
- Applicants must participate in a mandatory 15-minute interview as part of the selection process.
- Enrollment in SOW 4940/5943 International Community Engagement and attendance at all pre-departure and post-travel meetings.
- Adherence to all fee/application deadlines (below).
Alternative Spring Break 2023
Dates: March 10 - March 18, 2023
Program Fee: $1,295
The program fee includes tuition/fees for the 3 credit hour course (SOW 4940/5943); housing; transportation related to arrival, departure, and scheduled activities; on-site lunches; and insurance. Students will be independently responsible for airfare, some meals, personal expenses, and entertainment.
The application period has closed.
The College of Social Work International Programs offers a limited number of scholarships for Alternative Spring Break participants. Details will be provided by the fall 2022 semester, when recruiting and admissions is completed for the spring 2023 program.
In addition, FSU International Programs offers Spring Break Program Scholarships. Please visit their website for more information.
- Scholarship and Program Applications- September 7, 2022 by 11:59 pm
- Applicant Interviews- September 19 - September 27, 2022
- Participants Notified of Acceptance- September 30, 2022
(Participants will be notified of their status as an alternative spring break participant or if they have been placed on a waiting list. Students put on the waitlist will be contacted individually if a spot in the program opens.) (Additionally, those who also applied for a scholarship will receive a response when notified of their participant status update as listed above.)
- Accepted students must pay a $100 application fee- October 21, 2022
- Non-refundable $500 Confirmation Deposit Due to FSU International Programs- Date TBD (CSW/FSU IP staff will communicate updates as they appear)
- Full Payment Due to FSU International Programs- Date TBD (CSW/ FSU IP staff will communicate updates as they appear)