International Faculty & Student Service & Scholarship
Lindsay Greene (BSW): Expand Peru: Casa de Bebes: A Comprehensive Evaluation of a Childcare Program in Rural Peru
Lindsay Greene a BSW student traveled to Huancayo, Peru with the help of an Undergraduate Social Work Research and Creativity Award traveled to Huancayo, Peru to volunteer at and conduct research on a government child care program which targets impoverished areas of Peru.
The Voices of African Descent Bisexual Women: Experiences Related to Identity and Disclosure in Social Support Networks and Health Care Settings in the United States and United Kingdom
For her dissertation, Ph.D. candidate Kristin Brown chose a social work project focusing on the experiences of bisexual women of African descent. Her full dissertation is entitled, “The Voices of African Descent Bisexual Women: Experiences Related to Identity and Disclosure in Social Support Networks and Health Care Settings in the United States and United Kingdom.”
Jacy Mesch (MSW): Vulnerability and Women in Moldova: Choices Women Face Regarding the Welfare of Their Children
During her MSW program Jacy Mesch traveled to the small country of Moldova in Eastern Europe to research women living in poverty and their decision making that affected the welfare of their children.
Jane McPherson (Ph.D.): Human Rights Practice in Social Work: A U.S. Social Worker Looks to Brazil for Leadership
Jane McPherson’s doctoral research has focused on the intersection of social work and human rights and how to reframe social work interventions in human rights terms. For this project, she traveled to Brazil to learn more about Brazilian social workers and the human rights issues in Brazil.
As an MSW student, Derrika Hunt pursued a Directed Individualized Study to pursue research within the educational community of India.
John Sheetz focused during his MSW program on child welfare, specifically in Ukraine, making several trips to the area.
Faculty Service Projects
Through the Fulbright Scholar Program and a partnership with Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic, Associate Professor Dr. Jean Munn will take her research in in gerontological and aging studies to a whole new level during the spring 2016 semester.
As professionals dedicated to social work, our faculty often participate in international service projects. These initiatives primarily focus on training and consultation and include collaboration with sponsoring programs and institutions. Examples, include:
- Training professional staff and lay volunteers at the House of Hope in St. Vincent and the Grenadines to provide end-of-life services to clients and families dealing with HIV/AIDS
- Training social workers on culturally relevant counseling and intervention strategies in a variety of areas
- Assessment and intervention strategies in child abuse and neglect in St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados and Grenada
- Consultation with ministries on the development of legislation relating to the mandatory reporting of child abuse and neglect
- Consultation with various NGO’s regarding the development of operational policies and procedures
- Training school social workers and guidance counselors on the development of a crisis management plan in the schools of Barbados, Trinidad and St. Kitts
- Training on conflict resolution and anger management for teachers and school administrators in Trinidad and Barbados
- Technical assistance and training on HIV/AIDS prevention, intervention and long-term care
- Development of research projects on HIV/AIDS stigmatization
- Consultation and technical assistance on the development of a social work program in Grenada
- Consultation and technical assistance on the development of a graduate social work program in Trinidad & Tobago
- Development of a research project on homelessness in the Caribbean
- Training in children’s homes of Grenada and Trinidad on operating procedures and strategies for working with maltreated children
- Needs assessments and epidemiological profiles on alcohol abuse in the West Indies
- Technical assistance in the development of a boys choir in Trinidad & Tobago
- Consultation with Ministry of Social Welfare on services to the elderly in Grenada
- Technical assistance and training to various NGO’s in India on HIV/AIDS
- Consultation and technical assistance on the development of a social work field education program at a university in New Delhi