Social Work Licensure

Obtaining a professional license is an important step in your professional development and the FSU College of Social Work would like to help you in this process. Every state in the United States has social work licensing, but the requirements vary. If you reside outside of Florida, please contact your state board of licensing and determine the specific requirements and either fax, mail, or scan the verification forms to us.

For those of you seeking licensing in Florida, we receive and process requests every day, so are very familiar with the required information and documentation. We also directly submit to the Florida Board all your required documentation, providing you with a copy. Please allow 30 days for processing. Transcript requests should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Everyone seeking verification, regardless of your location, must submit your information on our Licensure Verification Application below. NOTE: You must have a licensure application submitted to the appropriate Board AND have your degree posted by FSU before we will be able to verify your information.

Thank you and best of luck on your next professional step!

Click for Licensure Verification

In Florida, there are two types of licensing:

Licensed Clinical Social Worker Qualifications:

  • A Masters of Social Work degree.
  • Completion of 24 semester hours or 32 quarter hours in theory of human behavior and practice methods as courses in clinically oriented services, including a minimum of one course in psychopathology taken in a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
  • A supervised field placement that was part of the applicant’s advanced concentration in direct practice, during which the applicant provided clinical service directly to clients.
  • Two (2) years of post-master’s supervised experience under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker, who is a qualified supervisor. The supervision experience must have consisted of at least 1,500 hours providing psychotherapy face to face with clients for the profession for which licensure is sought, and shall be accrued in no less than 100 weeks. At least 100 hours of supervision per 1,500 hours of psychotherapy face to face with clients provided by the intern; at least one (1) hour of supervision every two (2) weeks; at least one (1) hour of supervision per fifteen (15) hours of psychotherapy, with a minimum of one (1) hour of supervision every two (2) weeks. If the applicant obtained group supervision, each hour of group supervision must alternate with an hour of individual supervision. Individual supervision is defined as one supervisor supervising no more than two (2) interns and group supervision is defined as one supervisor supervising more than two (2) but a maximum of six (6) interns in the group.
  • Passing the national clinical level examination developed by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB).
  • Complete an eight-hour laws and rules course.
  • Complete a two-hour prevention of medical errors course; a three-hour HIV/AIDs course; and a two-hour domestic violence course from an approved provider.

Visit The Florida Board to find out more about becoming a “Registered Intern”. We encourage our new MSW graduates interested in licensure to apply as soon as you receive your degree. Our Clinical curriculum is established to meet the clinical licensure requirements you will need for the state of Florida and most other states.

Certified Master Social Worker Qualifications:

Please note: this license will not authorize a certified master social worker to provide clinical social work services.

  • Masters degree in social work from a university accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, with a major emphasis or specialty in clinical practice or administration.
  • Three (3) years experience, two (2) years of which must be at the post-master’s level under the supervision of a person who meets the education and experience requirements for certification as a certified master social worker or a licensed clinical social worker.
  • Passing the national advanced generalist (formerly known as the intermediate level) examination developed by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) and complete an eight-hour laws and rules course and a two-hour prevention of medical errors course from an approved provider.

For those of you who are moving to Florida from another state there is:

Licensure by Endorsement for Clinical Social Workers

The qualifications for this are:

  • Must hold an active valid license to practice and has actively practiced the profession for which licensure is applied in another state for 3 of the last 5 years immediately preceding licensure.
  • Meet the education requirements outlined in the previous information, passed the national examination required for licensure in Florida (or will pass after Board approval).
  • Complete an eight-hour laws and rules course and a two-hour prevention of medical errors course from an approved provider.

The Florida Board has an extensive Frequently Asked Questions section that will help to answer many of your questions.

If want to apply for a clinical license but your MSW degree didn’t have a clinical focus, such as our Social Policy and Administration concentration, then we suggest you:

  1. Apply to the Board of Social Work in your state for clearance. This process will check to see if you have completed the necessary coursework. They will tell you what courses you need to take. If you have completed all of the necessary coursework the Board may still deny you because you would not have completed the clinical field placement.
  2. FSU offers clinical course work on our campuses and online to assist you with the completion of required courses. You can apply to FSU (or any other accredited social work program) as a “Non-degree seeking (Special)” student to be eligible to register.
  3. If you need to complete a clinical internship, send us a copy of the denial letter which will make you eligible for our SOW5537 for non-degree seeking (special) student field placement. Please contact the Director of Field Education, Ms. Katrina Boone 850-644-9743 or for more information on how this can be coordinated.

Licensure Resources

Here are some resources available to assist in studying for a licensure exam. The College does not endorse or show preference towards any one of these vendors.

The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) is the association of boards that regulate social work. ASWB develops and maintains the social work licensing examinations used across the country and in several Canadian provinces, and is a central resource for information on the legal regulation of social work. Through the association, social work boards can share information and work together. ASWB is also available to help individual social workers and social work students with questions they may have about licensing and the social work examinations.

  • (800) 225-6880

The Association for Advanced Training in the Behavioral Sciences (AATBS)
AATBS provides license exam preparation and continuing education for mental health professionals. AATBS has served thousands of psychologists, social workers, counselors, and marriage and family therapists for over 30 years. There is discount pricing for Florida State University Students and Alumni – Use the reference code FSU9.

  • (800) 472-1931

Licensing Exam Preparation Services (LEAP)
LEAP has developed high quality, comprehensive exam preparation materials and classes uniquely designed for social workers who wish to prepare for the Bachelor, Masters, Advanced Generalist or Clinical levels of the ASWB Social Work Licensing Exam.

  • (877) 677- LEAP

Social Work Examination Services (SWES)
Social Work Examination Services has been providing on-site review courses and home study programs specifically designed to prepare social workers for license examinations throughout the United States.

  • (800) 993-8802

Social Work Licensure – A State-By-State Guide
A breakdown of social work licensure in each state, including license types, requirements, continuing education, and more