CSW Arts & Athletics Program
Built on the College of Social Work’s commitment to community service, the CSW Arts & Athletics program is an initiative created by Dean Emeritus Nick Mazza designed to combine arts and athletics to promote positive youth development. Targeting youth ages 11-14, the program aims to enhance self-awareness, confidence, emotional literacy, and interpersonal relationship skills while cultivating a resilient mindset.
The program has taken the shape of an 8-week afterschool camp, hosted on the Florida State University campus. FSU students from various disciplines participate as mentors who cultivate intentional relationships with participants and facilitate positive youth development workshops aligned with program aims.
The program also collaborates with various university and community partners to deliver an exciting experience for youth. University partners have included FSU Athletics, the Department of Sports Management, the Career Center, the Center for Leadership and Social Change, PeaceJam SouthEast, the Center for Academic Retention and Enhancement (CARE), University Housing, and many others. Community partners have included Capital City Youth Services, Capital City Music Therapy, Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare Animal Therapy, and Sarah Coakley Glass.
This program is directed by Dr. Shalay Jackson, Assistant Teaching Professor in the College of Social Work. 2020 will mark the ninth year of the program for middle school students.
Camper Application Information:
The Arts and Athletics Program will operate on Tuesday evenings from January 21 –March 10. Program hours are 5:30 p.m. -7:30 p.m. The camp is free of cost and includes an evening snack.
Camp Counselor Information:
To apply to be a counselor for the 2020 CSW Arts and Athletics Camp, please apply at https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6lNMb6qVzcpbG97
Applications are now open.
Shalay Jackson, DrPH, MSW, Assistant Teaching Professor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Article and Video: Middle school students experience college life through FSU Social Work summer camp (June 2019)
- Radio clip: Arts and Athletics Camp (June 2019)
- Video: FSU College of Social Work hosts free Arts & Athletics summer camp (June 2018)
- Article: hanging a path: FSU social work camp inspires students to succeed (June 2018)
- Radio clip: FSU College of Social Work hosts free Arts & Athletics summer camp (June 2018)
- Article: Real-life role models: FSU hosts free summer camp for youth (June 2017)
- Radio clip: College of Social Work Arts & Athletics summer camp (June 2017)
- Video: CSW Arts and Athletics camp 2016 (June 2016)
- Radio clip: College of Social Work Arts & Athletics Camp (June 2016)
- Arts and Athletics camp broadens horizons of area middle schoolers (June 2014)
- Radio clip: “FSU CSW offers sneak peak to university life“ (July 2013)
- Article: Young students get sneak peak at university life (July 2013)
- Article: Arts & Athletics camp winning combination for new College of Social Work camp (June 2012)
*The pilot project was made possible through the generosity of Guy and Delores Spearman. For more information or to support this program, contact Colette Podgorski at email@example.com or donate online to the “Social Work Community Outreach Fund.”