Social work is a profession committed to serving diverse groups of individuals, families, and communities. Diversity may be evidenced on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, political belief, mental or physical handicap, or any other preference or personal characteristic, condition, or status. In the interest of serving the diverse populations found within society, the College of Social Work places a strong emphasis on recruiting a student body which reflects and values these diversities.
The Bachelor’s of Social Work program at Florida State is a LIMITED ACCESS PROGRAM, therefore students must meet minimum admission requirements and complete an application to the BSW Program. The requirements for admission to the program are as follows:
- An cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
(please be aware we use cumulative GPAs for admission, which includes ALL graded attempts, and may differ from your transfer GPA);
- Completion of Liberal Studies requirements (a minimum of 60 hours);
- Completion of the following social work prerequisites with a grade of C or better** in each of the following categories:
- American Government: National
- Introduction to Economics
- Human or General Biology
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Submission of the BSW Program Application (below).
**Other courses than those recommended above may also satisfy these requirements if they cover this content in related 3-hour-credit courses. The course will be evaluated on the basis of information submitted, such as a course description from a college catalog, syllabus, and/or a transcript so a determination can be made regarding course equivalence. Students have the opportunity for two attempts to successfully meet the pre-requisite requirement for each category.
NOTE: The College of Social Work only accepts social work course work from 1) a CSWE-accredited institution, 2) a maximum of 24 social work credit hours and 3) with a grade of 3.0 ("B") or better.
Students must complete an application and meet all the admission requirements by the deadline dates listed below. Admission decisions typically are made within 30 days of submission. Interested students should contact the College of Social Work’s BSW Program Office at (850) 644-5713 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment for academic advising.
BSW APPLICATION DEADLINES:
- FALL – JUNE 1
- SPRING – NOVEMBER 1
BSW APPLICATION CHECKLIST:
- APPLY TO FSU (the University requires a separate application).
- Completion of the General Education studies (a minimum or 60 hours). Complete the five (5) required prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Completed the BSW Application. Click the button below to start the process
Admission decisions typically are made within 30 days of submission. For any questions contact the College of Social Work’s BSW Program Office at (850) 644-5713 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment for academic advising.